New to 4MLinux?

If you are a new 4MLinux user, you should jump here




Thursday, January 10, 2013

4MLinux and mythical Phoenix

This is my first post that is addressed to advanced users rather than newbies. I will try to show that 4MLinux and the mythical bird have something in common: both are able to repair themselves, though I must admit that Phoenix is much better at this ;-)



1) I am opening the /etc directory in Midnight Commander (click the image to enlarge it):




2) Now I am removing all the files (but not folders!) included in this directory:




3) I've just removed all essential system settings (fstab, initab, password, and many others)! Let's check this with Midnight Commander:




4) I am rebooting 4MLinux now. During the boot 4MLinux is asking me to choose a new password for root (there is nothing surprising in it, because I've removed all passwords):




5) Hallelujah! 4MLinux is up and running again. The default version of basic system settings has been rebuilt:



Notes:
1) 4MLinux does not use any backup file to repair itself. The new files are created from scratch  by sysinit script. See: chapter 2 of 4MLinux help.
2) It is also possible to repair 4MLinux without rebooting your computer. This can be done by executing the "restart" command in the console.




No comments:

Post a Comment