TheSSS (The Smallest Server Suite) is a lightweight server suite distributed as a live CD. It is designed for system administrators who need a small (liveCD is less than 30MB in size) set of server software for small local area networks. The supported servers are FTP, HTTP, SFTP, SSH, and Telnet. A proxy server (Polipo) with the Tor anonymizer is also included. The main security components are a 4MLinux Firewall (based on iptables) and Clam AntiVirus. TheSSS tries to follow the KISS principle as it was shown in this post.
Notes: TheSSS boots in the same way as 4MLinux does (this was described here).
1) Boot your copy of TheSSS:
2) After executing 'help', you will see the following screen:
3) Let's try the 'server' command now:
- There are some links at the bottom of this page. Follow them to learn more about particular servers included in TheSSS.
- If you need to configure your Internet connection, you should run the 'netconfig' script (the procedure is very similar to the one described here).
4) Additionally, TheSSS provides an antivirus protection, which works in the exact same way as it was shown in this post.
5) The installation of TheSSS to a hard disk drive can be performed by running the 'install2hd' script (have a look at this guide).
6) TheSSS has Midnight Commander (file manager) and Links (text-based web browser), which can be very helpful in some cases:
- TheSSS is able to make a backup of your data (and to send it to a remote FTP server if desired). Just try it yourself by executing 'backup' and 'fsbackup' commands!
- TheSSS is also able to display a huge number of information about your system. You can view them by executing the 'nmonitor' command.
FTP - HTTP - SSH - TELNET - FIREWALL - PROXY - MONITORING